Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10th

Today I had a sub because of district Professional Development. I was, however, in the school for half of the day doing work in the conference room.  I found a little time to peek in and say hi to the kids and WOW- I was so happy and impressed by their perfect behavior! I saw kids reading, working, being kind to each other....sigh...what lovely children you all have raised :)
I can't wait to get to school tomorrow and read the notes from the sub (I hope the whole day went just as well as the few moments I saw)!  I missed the kids so much!

A little update on curriculum-
We are using decimeters in math now. We learned that 10 cm = 1dm.  We have also been using yard sticks and meter sticks.  The kids are required to work in both the metric and english systems of measurements. The homework requires you to measure items at home and comes with a paper ruler.  If you'd like, I would recommend picking a real ruler up at the store whenever you get the chance.  I bought 30 of them from office max that have ALL the units we need (one ruler for inches, cm, mm, dm)  it has made things a lot easier for the kids.  They hate not knowing which ruler to use.

In science we are wrapping up the motion unit by taking our 'unit test' tomorrow.  The test mainly focuses on vocabulary such as: motion, force, gravity.  The concepts were very easy for most of the kids to grasp right away and I think they will do fantastic on the test.  Our next unit will be a Social Studies unit- Economics!

**As I mentioned here before, I want to do a little play/reader's theater at the end of our drama unit.  If you are willing to help at all with this (simple props, simple costumes, helping the kids rehearse, etc) let me know.  I want to make it fun for the kids but not too overwhelming for them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment