Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday, Nov. 11th

Today in class we working on 'buying' items with money and making change.  We also reviewed estimating.  In reading we worked on the silent E and did some rhyming with silent E words.  I stress to the kids that when the silent E is added, the vowel sound changes to a long vowel (the vowel says it's name).  We start with a word like SIT (the I is a short vowel sound) and then add an E to make SITE (now the I says it's name--a long vowel sound).  Some students who are more advanced readers did not need to review/learn this so they worked in groups reading non-fiction texts.

Homework went home today (thanks to Robyn's mom for filling the binders up for us!).
PLEASE send back the dentist/teeth cleaning form if you have it! This is a totally FREE service so you might as well take advantage!

**We are doing a canned food drive for Thanksgiving right now! We need boxed potatoes, boxed stuffing, kraft mac and cheese, gravy in a can, canned yams, cranberry sauce, and basically anything else that can be eaten at a Thanksgiving meal!  Please start sending items if you are able.  All donations will be packaged up and given to Poupard families in need this holiday.

Also, I am planning a fun Thankgiving Meal for the class on Monday afternoon, the 21st.  We have been learning about the mayflower and pilgrims and will continue to learn about native americans and life during that time.  To wrap up our study, we will be having our own Thanksgiving meal as a 'classroom family.'  I will be making a turkey for the class and would like to also serve them stuffing, mashed potatoes, juice, and cornbread muffins.  I will be sending a note home to all parents letting them know that you will not need to pack your child a lunch on this day.  If you are able to make and send any of the food items or if you would like to come help me carve the turkey (I am not great at this!) and serve the little 'pilgrims' and 'native americans' that day, let me know!

Happy Veteran's Day to any veterans out there! My brother in law did a tour in Iraq two years ago and we are SO happy to have him home now.  I know that Veterans make a HUGE sacrifice for all of us and I truly appreciate it :)  I wasn't able to teach much about this topic today so I hope that you can chat about it with your student this weekend.  The concept of 'war' is hard for them to understand and can be a bit too scary but talking to them instead about having respect and appreciation for the men and women in the armed forces is a great way to celebrate the day.

Hope you all have a great weekend!! As always, thanks for giving me such awesome kids to work with each day-- I love all my 2nd graders :)

No comments:

Post a Comment